“It’s Your Beat!”
Thank you for visiting the Finger Lakes Independent Music Association [FLiMA] online at FLiMA.org. FLiMA is a grassroots organization based at the north end of Seneca Lake in Geneva, New York. We aim to both raise visibility and create opportunity for musicians who live, work, and create in the greater Finger Lakes region (Central and Western New York State).
To provide a platform for musicians to network, collaborate, mentor, and connect. To offer training, professional development, and services to musicians based in the Finger Lakes. To connect local musicians with the community (and youth) through special events, programs, and employment opportunities. To outline and protect the rights of musicians as a trade organization of skilled artists.
This project is building a database of music related information. This includes musicians, venues, teachers, schools, radio stations, studios…you get the point. Some of this can be done with data-entry volunteers. But the hope is to cultivate more of a “wiki-site” where individuals add listings and interact locally. As it grows it will become the place to find local performers and other music related services.
A monthly “extemporaneous” jam session where musicians, improvisors, and writers gather in a space to compose immediately; Reacting off what they hear and the vibe of the room. No songs, forms, genres or other specific musical structures. Just a variety of instruments and minds converging. We encourage all types of musicians and instruments to join us. This is unique opportunity for a musical dialogue and discovery.
Over the past few years we have partnered with many groups to connect musicians with opportunities. We’re proud to have collaborated with local business, organizations, government, and individuals throughout the Finger Lakes. Some of these include: City of Geneva, Geneva Public Library, Center of the Finger Lakes, FLX Pride Festival, Musselman Triathlon, UG Collective, Center for Disability Rights, and more.
- Cayuga County: Auburn, Aurora, Fair Haven
- Chemung County: Elmira, Horseheads, Big Flats
- Cortland County: Cortland, Homer, Marathon
- Livingston County: Geneseo, Avon, North Dansville
- Monroe County: Rochester, Brockport, Fairport
- Onondaga County: Syracuse, Skaneateles, Baldwinsville
- Ontario County: Canandaigua, Geneva, Naples, Victor
- Schuyler County: Watkins Glen, Montour Falls, Hector, Odessa
- Seneca County: Seneca Falls, Waterloo, Interlaken, Romulus
- Steuben County: Corning, Hammondsport, Hornell, Bath
- Tioga County: Owego, Waverly, Candor, Newark Valley
- Tompkins County: Ithaca, Lansing, Dryden, Trumansburg
- Wayne County: Palmyra, Sodus, Wolcott, Macedon, Lyons
- Yates County: Penn Yan, Branchport, Dundee